Smart banking for
Whether you’re a freelancer, an independent contractor, or working a side gig, the indi app and debit card are designed for you.1 Bank on the go, save for taxes, and track expenses — all in one app.2
Why our users love indi.
This [banking] app is absolutely the greatest. You can set spending limits and lock it, you can put money away for taxes – there is just so much you can do, and security is top-notch.
– Brian G.
Google Play Review
It’s amazing – I like all of the features of this app. I most definitely would recommend it for anyone who is self-employed.
– Kienda M.
Google Play Review
I never had to worry about my check or anything. Boom it was on the indi app. My money was on there [indi app] immediately.
– Johnny R.
Bank with confidence.
All indi accounts and services are FDIC-insured up to the maximum amount permitted by law.
Supported by PNC Bank
With an indi account you can access your money fee-free at 60,000+ ATMs as listed on the PNC ATM locator.8
Frequently asked questions:
How much does indi cost?
indi has no signup fee, no monthly service fee, no minimum balance requirement, and no overdraft fees. You can set up direct deposit, make purchases within the U.S., and use ATMs in the PNC network to withdraw cash without fees. We do charge for a few things; you can read about them here.
Why should I save for taxes?
Being your own boss comes with a lot of perks. But preparing for taxes isn’t one of them. Income taxes are not automatically withheld for most 1099 workers. indi is here to help you create a Tax Savings Goal and save toward this goal bit by bit over the course of the year. This way, you’re not scrambling come April.
What happens if I spend my Tax Savings?
Your money is kept in a single FDIC-insured account, but you can visualize your balance as two categories: Okay to Spend and Tax Savings. Transactions deduct from Okay to Spend first. If transactions add up to more than you have in Okay to Spend, then indi will dip into Tax Savings for the difference. When this happens, we’ll adjust your percent per pay to help you get your Tax Savings back on track. Just be mindful. Using Tax Savings funds for other spending may leave too little money to pay your taxes.
Is my Tax Savings Goal the amount that I will owe for taxes?
No. indi is here to help, but we are not professional tax advisors. indi calculates your Tax Savings Goal using your expected annual income and deductions, as well as your filing status. This goal is an estimate based on income that you’ve categorized as 1099 income. It does not reflect the final amount that you’ll owe for federal and state taxes or taxes paid or due on W2 income, and it does not account for local taxes. If you earn more than expected over the course of the year, indi will prompt you to recalculate your goal. Likewise, as you spend, indi will provide smart tips and adjustments.
What type of account is indi?
indi is an FDIC-insured account with a prepaid debit card and mobile app. It’s a digital banking product (no branches, no checks) designed for independent workers who want to manage their finances on the go. Use indi for all your purchases and income—work and personal. Or, use it to match your lifestyle. Want to use indi alongside your existing bank account(s)? You got it. Take advantage of indi’s fee-free transfers to move money between accounts. We’re flexible so that you can be too.
How do I get started?
To get started you’ll need 3 items — your mobile phone, your Social Security number, and your ID. When you’re ready, click here to begin your application. Once approved, create your Tax Savings Goal, add some money to your account, and start using your temporary digital card right away.9 You’ll receive your physical card in the mail in 7-10 business days.
- indi is a prepaid account. Your funds will be held at PNC Bank, National Association and are eligible for FDIC insurance, subject to FDIC insurance coverage limits.
- A supported mobile device is needed to use this mobile app. Standard message and data rates may apply.
- indi Rewards offers are available from participating merchants. Offers are provided only for a limited time and require a qualifying purchase, and offers extended vary for each customer. Please see the indi Rewards terms and conditions for more details.
- indi’s Tax Savings Goal feature is not a substitute for individual tax planning or for legal, financial, or tax advice. The feature is intended only as a tool to provide a basic sense of your potential tax savings needs. Because indi will not know everything about your finances or your personal situation, your Tax Savings Goal may be more or less than your actual tax liability. The Tax Savings Goal does not account for local taxes. Using funds designated as Tax Savings for other spending may leave too little money to pay your taxes.
- The indi prepaid debit card is issued by PNC Bank, National Association.
- indi Rewards offers are available from participating merchants. Offers are provided only for a limited time and require a qualifying purchase, and offers extended vary for each customer. Please see the indi Rewards terms and conditions indi Rewards terms and conditions for more details.
- Although indi does not charge a fee for this service, your financial institution or payment processor may.
- Visit this locator to find a PNC or PNC Partner ATM near you where indi customers can access money fee-free.
- A Temporary Digital indi Card number is provided on the indi mobile application prior to the activation of your physical card. Please note that this temporary card number cannot be used at physical points of sale and will become inactive once your physical card is activated.
Read a summary of privacy rights for California residents that outlines the types of information we collect as well as how and why we use this information.
Google Play, the Google Play logo, and Google Pay are trademarks of Google LLC.
Visa is a trademark owned by Visa International Service Association and used under license.